Friday, August 13, 2010

Time out

Completing an intensive phase of work & creativity created a great sense of relief and release today. And gratitude at the opportunity to catch up on some sleep! Later, while driving a route I seldom take at a time I usually avoid (rush hour), I saw a township football team training in the patch of space between highways, running up a green slope in multicoloured shirts. Children noodling on an unkempt verge by pastel coloured houses. Men and women walking home with an easy sense of lightness in their pace, not the urgency of morning. And Table Mountain in the rearview mirror. (I have great big scenic side mirrors on my van, its previous owner warned me against getting too distracted by them.) And all under a rosy golden sky... should be the name of a country music artist. Anyway, it affirmed a sense of love for a place that is a privilege and an opportunity to feel.

So if you want to feel something good my suggestions include:
Throw yourself wholeheartedly into accomplishing or completing something, the relief when you are done can be its own reward.
Be open to going somewhere you don't usually go or at a time you don't usually go there, and see what's happening. What are people doing? What do you see?
My observation (not groundbreaking I confess) is that near sunset is a good time to go anywhere. Softening light. Visible change. Glowing colour.
And notice what's around you. We spend a lot of time in our heads, in memory of the past and projection or anticipation of the future. Come back to earth sometimes and soak in the pleasing freedom between.

No comments:

Post a Comment